Week 32 A Key Change in my Practice
A key Change in my
Professional Practice
Based on Rolfe’s reflective model.
What?
The MindLab journey has been an interesting one which has
given me so much insight into my own thinking and practice by making me stop
and evaluate and to look at what has changed in my ways of working.
So What?
Taking the Professional Learning Standard in the Our Code
Our Standards (2017, p.18), I will try and answer each segment with what I have
tried to do this year in changing my practice.
“Use inquiry, collaborative
problem solving and professional learning to improve professional capability to
impact on the learning and achievement of all learners.”
I have worked with my Mindlab colleagues to collaborate,
discuss, debate and construct many differing concepts and theories and even
musical videos to engage in new ideas to take back to the classroom and
staffroom to enrich our students experiences in my subjects. My professional
capability has been enhanced by the critical friends I have worked with in my
group in # Porirua. I have learned so much from the wise and wide cultural and
practical knowledge of those who work in schools with strong Maori and Pasifika
cultures which for this English girl is a wonderful enrichment of my
understanding! It has helped me to see through a different lens into how my
Maori and Pasifika students learn and react to my approach as the white middle
class foreigner. I hope I am bridging the gap by personalising their projects
for their needs.
“Inquire into and reflect on the
effectiveness of practice in an ongoing way, using evidence from a range of
sources.”
I have read the theories, learned the frameworks and put
into practice a range of ideas to enhance my pedagogical approach to delivering
the new ideas and then reflected on my practice to move forward into the next
cycle of inquiry to keep making a change, taking into account what my students
are saying about their learning and giving them agency in what they do.
Taking the blended learning into a practical classroom and
flipping the content knowledge to enhance engagement and redefine their
learning in producing their own content to help others. “While we teach, we learn,” said the Roman philosopher
Seneca. I have had some wonderfully dramatic and funny videos of how not
to use the iron and not to run with scissors! All we needed was the fake blood!
Yet, they all know the safety in the workroom now.
“Critically examine how my own
assumptions and beliefs, including cultural beliefs, impact on practice and the
achievement of learners with different abilities and needs, backgrounds,
genders, identities, languages and cultures.”
My fundamental belief in working with all students in a
relational way no matter what their background, has proven to be my sustaining
focus and my own pedagogy in individualising the learning for all the students
is the way I make this work. My critical reflection has been that it is not
always good for wellbeing, it’s exhausting, but so uplifting when a student who
is failing elsewhere can succeed in completing a special project they have
undertaken. When an international student learning English can work with me
through language barriers to construct a ball gown for graduation in Japan, or
a scholarship student weaves a Korowai and teaches me the cultural aspects of
this then Ako is truly happening. It
does take its toll and I am tired as the energy to sustain this level of
individualised teaching is vast. I need to recharge and do something different
for a while.
“Be informed by research and
innovations related to: content disciplines; pedagogy; teaching for diverse
learners, including learners with disabilities and learning support needs; and
wider education matters.”
The MindLab has given me the many different areas of
research to engage my brain into how I can use the content of my subject and
present it to all students like the ‘Special Needs’ students who have made dog
blankets for the SPCA and used the embroidery machine to make their labels. I
have worked with students who have English as a second language and we have
come together by using the video library I am making to video the “How to”
techniques. The video is bridging the language gap in understanding.
“Engage in professional learning and
adaptively apply this learning in practice.”
My involvement in my school’s TLIF project along with the
Mindlab learning has allowed us to identify markers of personalisation which we
can use as a school based framework to make that individualised approach happen
in our place in our school environment. The
blend of this professional learning has helped me so much in the focus of my
inquiry and pinpoint my difficulties in a class of twenty five students who all
need individual help to acquire skills. How I change this has been my inquiry
and how I can make them more independent has been the goal, videoing and using
in classroom flipped tutorials is beginning to make some impact.
“Seek and respond to feedback from
learners, colleagues and other education professionals, and engage in
collaborative problem solving and learning focused collegial discussions.”
My critical friend and colleague who has travelled this
journey with me this year in the MindLab has been my life support. We talked
all the way to the MindLab venue and all the way back with so many ideas and
thoughts about how what we have just learned, could be used. I have been very
fortunate to have such an intelligent critical friend and I have benefitted so
much from her wit, wisdom and perception when I couldn’t see the ‘wood for the
trees’. My TLIF colleagues have given me
help from a different perspective and this has been so useful as they are not
Mindlabbers so can see through a different viewpoint which is so useful when we
talk Mindlab ‘speak’ to have someone to ask what we mean!
What next?
Big journeys forward for next year and onwards. I have a
study award for 32 weeks study with the Mindlab Masters and start in April. I
have a new job which I have been so fortunate in achieving the dream of
developing a Technology department and implementing the new Digital Curriculum.
It will be so exciting to blend the Mindlab knowledge with the authentic
opportunity to make the Mindlab utopia happen in a school where they certainly
have big picture thinking! I am going to work more with Maori and Pasifika
students so my cultural journey and bridging the gap from my white foreign
roots will be even more exposed and it’s so exciting and it will be the
injection of energy I need to keep me going. Without undertaking the Mindlab
course I don’t think I would have done any of this, and I don’t think I would be
embarking on a Masters, I had no real interest in this before. It has been a
year of change.
Paul. A. M (2011), The protégé Effect. Retrieved from: http://ideas.time.com/2011/11/30/the-protege-effect/
Education Council. (2017). Our Code
Our Standards.Retrieved from: https://educationcouncil.org.nz/sites/default/files/Our%20Code%20Our%20Standards%20web%20booklet%20FINAL.pdf
Congratulations on your study award to extend on your new learning this will fit in well with your new position. I wish you well on your cultural journey there is so much to learn about the beautiful country we live in.
ReplyDeleteStop it Jane! Now you are just showing off! CONGRATULATIONS on the new job, study award and completing this journey of MindLab!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely a year of change and good change for you. Your journey reads great learning you have gained and a clearer understanding of things you were willing to take risks on. Flipped classroom, pedagogical approaches, blended learning, culturally responsiveness, growth mindset, followers and leadership are now all part of your gained experience.
A great reflection of your journey this year. We are so overdue of another catch up...when this is all over!