Week 31 Indigenous Knowledge and Cultural Responsiveness

Week 31 Indigenous
Knowledge and Cultural Responsiveness.
I will use Rolfe’s reflective
model to frame this:
What?
Cultural Intelligence?
Defined by Earley and Ang (2003) as ‘someone's ability
to adapt successfully to a new cultural setting,’
Cultural Intelligence is also
known as CQ.
The Cultural Intelligence Center posit
‘(CQ) is the capability to relate and work effectively in culturally
diverse situations. Going beyond existing notions of cultural sensitivity and
awareness, it is important to identify the recurring capabilities of
individuals who can successfully and respectfully accomplish their objectives,
whatever the cultural context.’
As an immigrant to New Zealand and a “Pommie” by birth, my own life
experience is one of varied multicultural immersions into the melting pot of
creed and colour and I feel I had a very broad exposure to cultural differences
in England, albeit from a white working class perspective. I grew up on a
council estate so I certainly wasn’t privileged and I hope this has grounded my
viewpoint on many things. I came to New Zealand with the absolute understanding
that I was stepping into a whole new culture even though on the surface it
didn’t seem so different from what I was leaving…. but we had watched “Once
were Warriors!”
I would absorb as much as I could to assimilate my new
world, after all I was moving to a new country and as the saying goes “When in
Rome do as the Romans.” I had to gauge the tenets of society and try to learn
from all aspects of New Zealand culture and find my own path. I found very
quickly that there was a definite divide between Pakeha and Māori
and I was curious as to “why?” in such a small population. I realised that
there was a definite socio-economic difference that was as prevalent here as it
was in my own country.
I learned to teach
adults, here in New Zealand, and had my first experience of a bi-cultural
perspective from the wonderfully inclusive tutors at Whitireia, and when I look
back now, I had the very best place based teaching for this, and an authentic
environment to witness the real divide in the Porirua area.
So What?
Fig 2.
I began teaching in my first school in 2006 and have
remained there until now. I believe our school is on a journey from the brown
to the red on the continuum above. As a college in a predominantly white middle
socio-economic area, with some quite poor pockets, we are on a journey of
bicultural enlightenment. While never totally white, the brown box and into the
blue would be where I believe the school was, when I arrived to teach.
I had my own
lens to view what was happening in my school and little bias, as I had not
grown up with a new Zealand context, so I could observe with a slightly
detached perspective: one which, I believe, has been really helpful in my own
personal journey on the continuum above.
The area I believe the school are progressing well
with on their journey with the vision, mission and core values. I still think
there is a way to go and they are developing the bi-cultural significance driven
by a passionate Principal who saw the school as the token tick box
institution it was before he arrived. He drove the need for change and has been
transformational in this respect. We now have our own formulated CARE system,
we have an active PB4L strategy and restorative practice. We have adopted; Kia
Eke Panuku; Tuakana Teina
and many Māori inspired
activities which are becoming core to our learning for all students.
In
discussion with our Māori Matua, he
believes the school at this point is in the purple box moving to green. What we have
to accept though, is that we still have some laggards who are slow to
adopt these strategies,
but this is a snow ball getting bigger as we roll forward.
What is not moving forward as quickly, but
I believe this will follow as momentum gathers in the vision and values area, are the learning
resources for our Akonga.
This
is developing with our change of Year 9 programmes and bringing in the place based
projects which connect students to their environment,
their land and local iwi. We have our local Marae and the school has
established great links with Kaumatua and iwi to come into the school and work
with the students on various projects.
What Next?
The school will keep moving forward with its
momentum and I am confident we have fantastic relational teachers whom ERO have
recently evaluated to be making great strides in inclusive bicultural practice.
For me, I have been a quiet learner, my passions
have developed with Raranga and I have made
new Kapa Haka uniforms for both local Colleges. I have been involved with a wonderful
Maori student constructing a Korowai and we have connected back into the
community, iwi, and weaving experts locally, as well as Te Papa, to gather the expertise
for me to learn alongside my students. The Ako is happening and I have really
enjoyed the experiences.
Matua has given me the status of being part of the
Kapa Haka group, in that I was given a jacket…… for me a real honour of
acceptance, for an outsider!...
and I am very cognisant of this inclusion and what that means.
I am moving on to a new position in a low
socio-economic school, predominantly Maori and Pasifika and my new challenge is to
assimilate this new environment and to have a high CQ with my new students. I
have much to learn but my kete is open to be filled and I hope I am humble
enough to be accepted by them, genuinely, not just tick boxed. It goes both
ways I believe. I take the words of Liana Macdonald with me, “History
suggests that those who are born into privilege struggle to see how society is
structured to their advantage.”
Cultural intelligence Center, (2018) Retrieved from: https://culturalq.com/what-is-cq/
Earley, C. & Ang, S. (2003). Cultural Intelligence, Individual
Interactions Across Cultures. Stanford university Press. California.
Macdonald. L (2018). Retrieved from https://e-tangata.co.nz/identity/why-i-didnt-sit-with-the-other-maori-girls-at-school/
Fig 2. Milne,
A. (2017).Coloring in the white spaces: reclaiming cultural identity in
whitestream schools. New York: Peter Lang Publishing, Inc.

Hi Jane, I enjoyed reading your Blog and was pleased to see our Maori Matua felt the school, using the continuum, was in the purple moving towards the green. I feel the school has made a huge amount of progress in the last 5 years under the leadership of a new principle with a passion for improving the standards for all in an inclusive environment. I hope the snowball does keeping rolling collecting in its path the laggards. I have myself benefited hugely from this focus and having the support to develop my skills and understanding.
ReplyDeleteI felt Sharon's farewell assembly truly showed how far the school has come in allowing and encouraging our students to be proud and stand tall as Maori. Sharon the Deputy Principle had been at the school 38 years and was retiring. During her leaving assembly with the whole school the Kapa Haka group performed the school Haka, a few students around also joined in. By the end of the assembly the students initiated a final Haka and from all over the hall groups of students stood proud to perform a farewell Sharon will never forget. This to me showed confidence and acceptance, that not only did the students understand the meaning of the Haka and it’s sentiment on this occasion but that Sharon would understand it too.
Jane Wooster